When taking high catches, there are a few tips which can make the task easier and more consistent:
- The basics involve watching the ball closely all the way into the hands. The catcher should give with the ball and use soft hands. Open the fingers wide and present a large surface area of the hands to the ball.
- Setup to get balanced and as still as possible for the catch.
- The fingers up method suits loopy catches, the cup or fingers down method suits steep catches and for those below the chest.
- Ideally make the catch at eye level.
- Catch in the bubble or at a comfortable distance from the body.